Now that exams are over my favorite way to spend a lazy Sunday is baking up a large batch of cookies. When it comes to baking cookies are my go to; not only do they taste amazing but they are so quick and easy to whip up. These chocolate chip cookies have quickly become a family favorite. These cookies are for the true chocolate lovers out there with their rich and chewy chocolate base studded with large chunks of creamy chocolate these are unashamedly chocolate laden delights! When it comes to cookies some like them crumbly and some like them chewy. I fall completely into the latter category. I love my cookies to be crispy on the outside and moreishly chewy on the inside just like these ones. I must warn you though when it comes to these glorious chocolate cookies one is never enough…….
Cacao is a superfood not solely for its mood lifting powers but also for its nutritional profile. Cacao is rich in the antioxidant flavonoid which is also found in grapes. These flavonoids may prevent anything from Alzheimer’s Disease to cancer though the research is not conclusive yet. In addition cacao has been shown to reduce blood pressure as well as possibly increase longevity. As wonderful as cacao is it does contain caffeine so unless you want to experience sleeplessness and anxiety it is probably best to not eat the whole batch!
- ½ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp sugar free dark chocolate chopped into chunks
- Combine the ground almonds, cacao powder, sweetener of choice, chocolate chips and coconut oil in a large bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into five cookie shapes and place on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170C/ 350F for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- As difficult as it is it is very important to let the cookies cool as this is what makes them chewy if you eat them while warm they will be too crumbly.
- Enjoy with a glass of cold almond milk!