So it’s been all of twenty eight days since the chocolate fest that was Easter and I think it’s about time I shared another irresistible chocolate treat and I think you’ll agree! Bounty bars are one the most popular recipes on the blog and they seem to be everyone’s favorite bar. While I do like them I would definitely choose a snickers bar as my favorite chocolaty sweet treat. Well that was until I came up with this recipe for almond bounty bars! Like all great things in life these little babies came about by accident when I ran out of coconut oil while making my Bounty bar recipe. Thanks to my lack of preparation and laziness (I refused to go to the shop mid way though this recipe as I knew that the mixture wouldn’t be safe if left unattended in a household of Bounty bar lovers!) the only thing I had to hand to help the mixture stick together was almond butter. These squares of heaven combine the tropical coconut magic of a bounty bar with the amazing sweet lusciousness of almond butter. These bars take literally minutes to make and seconds to devour!
Almonds are one of the worlds most popular nuts and this shouldn’t come as a surprise due to their stellar nutritional profile.They are a rich source of an array of vitamins and minerals as well as protein, anti oxidants and heart healthy fats. The majority of the fat found in almonds is monounsaturated fat which is famed for its ability to promote good general cardiovascular health as well as lower levels of LDL or “bad” cholesterol. In addition almonds are a great plant source of calcium which is vital to maintain strong bones as well as healthy teeth. Almonds also contain other minerals such as magnesium and phosphorous which also promote optimum bone health.
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 + ½ tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Dark refined sugar free chocolate
- Place the coconut, almond butter and sweetener of choice in a blender or food processor and pulse until you have a sticky mixture.
- Press your coconut mixture into a prepared baking tin (try not to eat it all!) and place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the coconut mixture from the fridge, melt your chocolate and pour over the coconut layer.
- Place in the fridge again fro 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge cut into square and enjoy!