One summer I decided that all I wanted was to set up my own business making and selling granola. While my parents were proud of my entrepreneurial spirit somehow I don’t think they were that fond of the idea of me turning our kitchen into a granola factory! My concept basically was Ben and Jerry style granola that was healthy (believe me it made more sense in my head!). Of course in true Ben and Jerry’s style each flavor was not only decadent and addictive but also had a cute name. This banana peanut granola was my signature flavor which I nicknamed Cheeky Monkey! The granola business might not have gotten going but this granola is guaranteed to get me going in the morning. Mashed banana in your granola might not be the most natural of things but it reduces the amount of sweetener needed in the recipe while also making drool worthy perfect clusters of peanutty goodness.
Bananas are best known for their high potassium content. Potassium is a mineral that is essential in maintaining optimum muscle and nerve function. In addition potassium plays a crucial role in the maintenance of a healthy electrolyte and fluid balance. Bananas are also a wonderful source of fibre. Fibre has been illustrated to assist in the maintenance of healthy bowel function. Regular consumption of fibre rich foods have been shown to reduce the likelihood of developing colon cancer.
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 + ½ cups gluten free oats
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 + ½ tbsp maple syrup
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup peanuts
- ½ cup dates chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl combine your mashed banana, peanut butter, coconut oil, vanilla and maple syrup.
- Give this mixture a good stir.
- In a separate bowl combine the oats, flaked almonds, sunflower seeds and peanuts.
- Add the contents of the "wet" bowl into the dry and stir well to ensure that all the oats, nuts and seeds are evenly coated.
- Spread your granola on lined baking trays.
- Toast in a preheated oven at 170 C/ 350 F for 15-25 minutes ensuring to stir it occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool (if you can resist eating it all straight from the oven 🙂 )