After all those Easter eggs you may have eaten or homemade Snickers bars in my case I have got the perfect recipe to make you feel virtuous and get you back on track to your healthy ways. After any big celebration be it Easter or Christmas I definitely experience withdrawal symptoms from all the feasting and this is the perfect recipe to gently ween me off all that chocolate! This salad is light and fresh while at the same time substantial enough to keep me full and stop me nibbling all the leftover chocolate! Now that spring has finally sprung I love to eat more salads and light meals as opposed to the soups and stews that I crave in winter. There is nothing that I associate with spring more than the invigoratingly fresh taste and smell of mint. I would never have thought of eating raw courgette but it’s crunch pairs beautifully with the wonderfully buttery texture of the beans, the zing of the French dressing and the cool burst of mint. Also on the off chance that the weather does actually heat up this salad is great as it can be prepared in just a few minutes leaving you with plenty of time to enjoy the nice weather!
There is more to courgette than just being the pasta alternative du jour. This vegetable which ranges in color from buttery yellow to deep green is a rich source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a water soluble anti oxidant which has long been famed for its ability to prevent the winter flu even though that proved to be untrue it does protect the body against damage by free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive compounds which cause cell damage which resultant everything from accelerating skin aging to the development of certain cancers . Vitamin C also plays a crucial role in the development of strong bones and general bone health. In addition courgettes are a great source of manganese which like vitamin C protects your cells from free radical damage.
- ½ large courgette
- 1 cup cooked mixed beans
- 1 tbsp vegan white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp - 1+1/2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp honey
- 2 tsp finely minced mint
- Salt + pepper
- Pass the courgette through a spiralizer or if you don't have one use a julienne peeler to make thin courgette ribbons.
- Place the cooked beans and courgette together in a bowl.
- In a jar mix the white wine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, honey and mint.
- Place a screw top lid in the jar and give the dressing a good shake (make sure the lid is firmly on before doing this!)
- Add the dressing to the courgette and beans and toss everything to coat evenly in the dressing,
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving dish.