One of the best things about summer is undoubtedly all the wonderfully juicy and ripe berries. I love seeing the wide array of colorful berries in the supermarket. Plump blueberries, succulent strawberries, tart raspberries and juicy blackberries make it too hard to choose a favorite! Unsurprisingly I can’t get enough of these sweet berries and my current obsession is putting them in my salads. They offer a lovely sweet contrast to salad vegetables and a wonderful texture. In this salad I couldn’t choose which berries to use so I uses a little bit of everything. I chose a really simple and zingy mango lime dressing which couldn’t be more virtuous as its sweetness pairs beautifully with that of the berries. Of course I couldn’t resist large slivers of luscious ripe avocado and a sprinkling of crispy pecans to finish it all off. This really is the perfect summer salad as it showcases the best ingredients summer has to offer and takes just minutes to prepare leaving you with plenty of time to enjoy the lovely weather. This is a summer fruit salad unlike any other!
Strawberries are not only a great sweet treat but they also offer many wonderful health benefits. Strawberries are rich in Vitamin C an antioxidant as well as potassium which helps balance the fluid levels in our body. In addition these bright berries are a great source of folate which ensures healthy red blood cells as well as helping protect against the development of spinal defects during pregnancy. Like most fruits and vegetables strawberries offer fiber which plays a role in cholesterol regulation and is essential in the maintenance of a healthy digestive system.
- Handful baby spinach
- Handful rocket leaves
- 2 handfuls berries
- Handful pecans
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ½ large ripe mango
- Juice ½ lime
- ¼ tsp grated ginger
- ¼ tsp finely chopped red chili
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- Place a handful of both the spinach and rocket leaves in a serving bowl.
- Scatter the berrie jeer the leaves.
- Peel and slice the avocado into generous slivers.
- Lay these slivers over the salad.
- Sprinkle the salad with the pecans.
- To make the dressing combine the mango, chili, ginger, lime juice and sesame oil if using in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and enjoy!