I must admit that the first time I tried chia pudding it was neither love at first bite nor at first sight. Honestly, I thought it resembled frog spawn. The taste was not much better it seemed bland and slimey in texture. The worst part of all was the misleading name; I mean pudding has conotataions of dessert but this was far from a treat. After many failed attempts I finally arrived at a recipe that could compete with my beloved porridge for the best breakfast. I added lots of lime and ginger to give it a fresh zing and coconut yogurt to make it creamy enough to be considered a true treat.
Chia is one of the most popular superfoods at the moment and it’s popularity is unsurprising given its immense health benefits. Chia seeds are one of the richest plant sources of fatty acids most notably omega 3 which has been shown to help reduce high cholesterol levels a s well as reducing inflammation. Not only do these seeds reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels but they have also been shown to increase levels of HDL or “good” cholesterol. Two tablespoons of these little seeds contain over twice the fibre of a cup of oatmeal. In addition they are also a great source of protein which when combined with their fibre and gelling effect leads to an increase in satiety. As if that wasn’t enough just two tablespoons contains as much calcium as half a cup of milk. Enjoy this delicious superfood pudding for breakfast, dessert or any time in between.
- 1 + ½ tbsp whole chia seeds
- 4 + ½ tbsp coconut yogurt
- 10 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1 + ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 + ½ tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- ⅓ mango diced
- Toasted coconut shavings
- Combine all the ingredients and place in the fridge over night.
- In the morning remove the pudding from the fridge and taste.
- Add more sweetener if desired and add more milk if the consistency is too thick.
- Place some of the diced mango at the bottom of a glass, add the chia pudding and then top with the remaining mango.
- Scatter the blueberries and toasted coconut shavings over the pudding and enjoy!