I am without a doubt one of those people who are all about sauces. Chutney, relish, ketchup…… you name it chances are that I would happily tuck into a jar of these with nothing more than a spoon. This coconut lime and mint tzatziki is one of my all time favorite sauces for many reasons. Number one being a cooling dip is a must for someone like me for whom mild chili powder is about as much heat as I can take! Also this takes literally two minutes to put together. I love to have a bowl of this in the fridge and dip just about everything into it for a refreshing snack or just eat it with a spoon. With its creamy coconut base, crunchy fresh cucumber, zesty lime and fragrant herbs this really won’t last long!
You may think that mint has little nutritional benefits to offer but in fact there is more to mint than its invigorating scent and fresh taste. For years mint has been known to have a soothing effect on your stomach. It is believed that this is due to its ability to relax the smooth muscle in your digestive tract thereby making it a great natural way to relieve the symptoms of irritable bowel, heartburn and indigestion. the benefits of mint can be seen beyond the digestive tract. This fragrant herb contains potent antioxidants such as perillyl alcohol a potent phytonutrient which may protect against the develop of skin and lung cancers.
- ¼ cucumber
- 6tbsp coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Zest ½ a lime
- Grate the cucumber with the skin on in a medium size grater.
- Squeeze as much water as possible out of the cucumber and set aside.
- Combine the coconut yogurt, mint, coriander and lime zest in a bowl.
- Add the cucumber to this mixture and mix well.
- You can serve this immediately or place in the fridge for later and is best served at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- Serve with crudités or over your favorite curry and enjoy!