As amazing as warm cookies are I must admit that my favorite type of cookies is in fact cookie dough. Half the effort, no waiting for them to cook (perfect for someone as impatient as I am!) and most importantly just as delicious if not even more so. Whenever we were baking as young children my mom would always tell us to not eat the dough in case we got sick, unsurprising once you tell a child not to do something that’s all they want to do and thus a life long love affair with cookie dough began! When it came to making Easter eggs this year I knew that I wanted to do something a little different and so these amazing cookie dough Easter eggs were born. These really couldn’t be any easier to make as I had learnt my lesson many years ago when I attempted to make chocolate Easter eggs. My sister had gotten an Easter egg making set as a gift, so one afternoon our intrepid baby sitter tackled the kit that required painstakingly painting layers of chocolate onto a mold with a paint brush. Let’s just say that it ended badly and it was a while before she came back. These on the other hand couldn’t be simpler; just 5 ingredients. I promise that the most difficult part is trying not to eat all the cookie dough while making the eggs!
The secret to the blissful taste of these cookie dough eggs is one of my all time favorite ingredients; cashew butter. Cashews have the most beautifully creamy texture not to mention a whole host of nutritional benefits most notably minerals. Iron which is necessary for the production of heme an element of hemoglobin that is essential for oxygen transport around the body can be found in these little nuts. In addition cashews are a great source of the minerals zinc and copper. Zinc is involved in cell division as well as being a powerful antioxidant.Copper aids the body in the processing of iron as well as strengthening your blood vessels.
I couldn’t resist also making a batch of my chia, cacao + coconut balls in the shape of little eggs to go with the cookie dough eggs after all it’s Easter; you cant possibly have too much chocolate 🙂 http://thegoodfoodgoddess.com/hazelnut-coconut-cacao-chia-bites/
- ¾ cup cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup dark sugar free chocolate chopped into chunks
- Place the cashews in a blender or food processor and pulse until you have a flour like mixture.
- Add the cashew butter, maple syrup or honey and vanilla to the cashews and pulse again until the mixture starts to come together.
- Transfer the cookie dough mix to a large bowl and stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Using a mold or your hands shape your mixture into egg shapes.
- Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Remove from the fridge before serving and enjoy!