This super quick recipe is a simplified version of one of my favorite blog recipes; a healthy snickers bars. I am completely head over heels in love with all things peanut butter so unsurprisingly the addictive combination of luscious peanut butter and rich chocolate make snickers my favorite treat. While I adore my others snickers bar recipe with their crispy chocolate base, moreish nougat and chewy date caramel studded with peanuts and enrobed in smooth chocolate I am the first to admit that it can be a bit time consuming to make. This recipe takes things back to basics which means lots of peanut butter and chocolate!. I omitted the nougat layer because let’s be honest we are all here for the insanely delicious peanut caramel layer! Instead of the somewhat time consuming date caramel I made a really simple unashamedly peanutty caramel and substituted the laborious process of dipping each bar in chocolate with a generous drizzle of creamy dark chocolate. The perfect snickers replica with just 6 simple ingredients what’s not to love!
Peanuts aren’t in fact a nut as the name suggests but instead are a legume. Peanuts are rich in an array of nutrients from vitamin E to potassium. Vitamin E is a fat soluble antioxidant that has been linked to protecting against everything from cataracts,diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease. In addition vitamin E is important for your skin as it neutralizes the effect of free radicals which can damage collagen and result in dryness. Peanuts also are a wonderful source of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats which have been shown to reduce your amount of LDL or “bad” cholesterol which lowers your risk of developing heart disease. These good fats have also been illustrated to prevent the development of type 2 diabetes.
- ½ cup peanuts
- ½ cup dates
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 1-2 tsp water (optional)
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- Handful peanuts
- Handful dark chocolate chips
- Pinch sea salt
- In a food processor or blend blitz the peanut, dates, cacao powder and sweetener of choice until you have a slightly sticky mixture, add the water as required.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and smooth into a lined loaf tin.
- place the tin in the fridge to firm up.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl mix the peanut butter and sweetener until smooth.
- Remove the base layer from the fridge and smooth this layer over it.
- Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to allow it to firm up.
- Remove from the freezer top with chopped peanuts and chocolate chunks.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!