I am definitely one of those people who relish a challenge and the bigger it is the better. However I must admit that I met my match in gingerbread houses. My numerous attempts over the years have trialed different recipes, different templates but they have all ended with me and everyone else covered in flour and close to tears. Of my many attempts the most memorable one included using Ryvitas to bridge a gaping hole in the roof (quite ingenious I must say). On the positive side I realized at an early age that my future didn’t lie in architecture nor engineering. My failure with the gingerbread houses has not done anything to dampen my adoration for gingerbread.
Not only are these gingerbread men adorable but ginger has potent anti inflammatory properties that have been scientifically proven to reduce the pain of arthritis sufferers. Traditionally ginger is best known for its relieving effect on gastrointestinal issues and recent studies have proven that it surpasses the relief offered by popular over the counter medications for motion sickness as well as relieving nausea and even morning sickness. In fact so wonderful are gingers many attributes that it is considered a virtual medicine chest in Aruyveda.
- 65g (2 + ¼ oz) buckwheat flour
- 35g(1 + ½ oz) ground almonds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 140C/ 350F.
- In a large bowl combine the buckwheat flour, ground almonds, baking powder, ground cinnamon and ginger.
- Add to it the maple syrup and oil of your choice. Mix well to combine.
- If the mixture is too dry, slowly add in one or two teaspoons of almond milk.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 5mm (1/4 in).
- Cut out gingerbread men using the cutters and place on a tray lined with grease-proof paper.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing by mixing together the cashew butter and maple syrup.
- Slowly add in some almond milk if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Place in a piping bag and decorate your gingerbread men as desired.