If each one of these delectable cacao hazelnut chia balls were an IQ point I would never need to open a book! With exam fever pitch reaching an all time high I have resorted to any means possible to help me study and I mean any means…Chia is after all a wonderful brain food so I mean making and eating these definitely counts as productive study time, right? These little chia bonbons are packed full of brain fueling ingredients chia, flax and coconut but unlike study which let’s be honest is hardly one of the most thrilling activities out there these little bites are sure to thrill your taste buds. The classic combination of cacao and creamy hazelnut butter reminds me of Nutella while the crunchy chia seeds are sure to wake me up from my study induced stupor. If only these little chia balls could make me smarter……A girl can always dream!
Chia’s brain boosting power comes from their high levels of omega 3 which plays an important role in maintaining heart and brain health. Not only are chia seeds great for your brain but they are also rich in fibre which aids the control of blood sugar levels as well as reducing the risk of developing heart disease and obesity. In addition chia seeds are a source of the B vitamins Niacin and Thiamine which play a vital role in maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- 2 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 2 tbsp milled flax seeds
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Medjool dates
- 3 tbsp crunchy hazelnut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Place the chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut, ground almonds and cacao powder in a food processor.
- Blend the mixture until you have a sandy mixture.
- Add in the maple syrup, dates and hazelnut butter.
- Blend until the mixture begins to come together.
- Add in the almond milk as needed to give you a "dough".
- Divide the mixture into eight and roll into balls.
- Serve the chia balls as is or roll in more desiccated coconut or cacao powder.