Bounty bars haunted my childhood; they were always left languishing at the bottom of my selection box unable to be swapped for anything else as everyone in my family disliked them equally. In March we would always unearth a box of celebrations leftover from Christmas only to find to our dismay that all they contained were bounty bars and the even more reviled picnic bar. Over the years unbeknownst to me I have developed a bit of a fondness for coconut. It’s natural sweetness and exotic flavor when combined with smooth chocolate makes for a heavenly combination. So here is my simple recipe for healthy homemade Bounty bars. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Hesse are my favorite treat but I wouldn’t exactly say no to one either….
Coconut oil, coconut sugar, coconut milk, coconut water…..Coconut in every shape and form seems to be the health food du jour. coconut and it’s oil contain the medium fatty chain acid lauric acid which has been shown to possess antibacterial and antiviral properties which can thereby help strengthen the immune system. Even though coconut and coconut oil have high levels of saturated fat conversely they have been shown to have a beneficial effect on total cholesterol levels as well as levels of LDL or “bad” cholesterol which improves cardiovascular health.
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. almond milk or water
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup raw honey or maple syrup
- ¾ cup cacao powder
- Combine the dates , coconut, maple syrup and vanilla in a blender and blend until you have a crumbly dough.
- Add in the milk while blending until you have a sticky dough.
- Place in a baking tin (I used a mini loaf tin) and place the tin in the fridge.
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Combine the cacao powder and honey in a bowl and gradually add in the coconut oil whisking to ensure a smooth mixture.
- remove the coconut mixture form the fridge and cut into bars.
- Dip the bars into the chocolate mixture until they are evenly coated.
- Transfer the bars to the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Remove from the fridge and enjoy!