I have done enough school bake sales over the years to know that there is no better way to get people to part with their money than brownies. Even those with the strongest resolve find it hard to resist the fudgy deliciousness of these chocolate delights and these brownies definitely aren’t an exception! If you are desperately looking for a quick chocolate hit these are perfect as you can whip them up in five minutes and as they are raw they are packed full of all their nutritional goodness (not that anyone ever needs an excuse to indulge in some brownies). These raw brownies are not just a superfood for their mood enhancing ability but for the secret ingredient that gives them their delectable fudginess; avocado.
Avocadoes are a nutritional powerhouse as they offer a wide variety of over twenty vitamins and minerals. Just one of these is potassium which plays a crucial role in blood pressure regulation as well as lutein which has a beneficial effect on eye health. Avocados are in fact a fruit, well a berry to be exact and like most fruits they are a wonderful source of fibre which leads to increased satiety. However unlike other fruits avocados are a rich in monounsaturated fat or “good fat” that has been illustrated to exert a beneficial effect on the lowering of HDL or ” bad cholesterol”. In addition they contain vitamin E which has been shown in recent trials to slow the progression of Alzheimers disease when consumed in high doses.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- ½ cup cacao or cocoa powder
- ¼ small ripe avocado
- 2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 6 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Combine all the brownie ingredients in a blender and blend until it reaches a fudge like consistency. You may need to slowly add some almond milk in order to get a fudgy texture. (I dare you to resist eating it from the bowl!)
- Press the mixture into a lined baking tin and place the brownies in the fridge for 15 minutes to allow them to firm up.
- Meanwhile combine the peanut butter and maple syrup in the blender, blitz until smooth and add the milk as necessary to give the caramel a pouring consistency.
- Remove the brownies from the fridge, drizzle them with caramel, sprinkle over a little sea salt and dig in!