Anyone who follows my Instagram account will know that I ADORE nut butter! I use it in everything from indulgent healthy desserts to creamy salad dressings and everything in between. I had a bit of a dilemma over whether to call this winter spiced or Christmas pecan and almond butter but I decide that to strict this to just Christmas time would be a crime. Considering that I live in Ireland where the weather could almost always be classed as winter it is completely acceptable to eat this all year round right? This winter spiced pecan and almond butter is like Christmas in a jar, jam packed with the festive flavours of rich pecans and creamy almonds spiced with aromatic spices like warming ginger, sweet cinnamon and wintery nutmeg. Slather it on pancakes, liberally drizzle on porridge, add a dollop to smoothies, dunk apples into it or my personal favorite eat it straight from the jar! This festive nut butter also makes for a wonderful homemade edible gift, you can bear to part with a jar of nut butter heaven that is……..
Pecans are not just festive and delicious but they are also rich in monounsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid whcih has been proven to reduce levels of LDL or “bad” cholesterol while at the same time increase levels of HDL or “good” cholesterol. In addition they are a rich source of vitamin E, a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant that protects skin the against free radicals which are responsible for aging thereby leaving you with a glowing complexion 🙂
- 1 cup almonds
- ½ cup pecans
- 1+1/2 tsp maple syrup or raw honey
- ¼ - ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt
- Spread the almonds and pecans on a baking tray and roast in a preheated oven at 350F/ 170C for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the nuts from the oven allow to cool for a few minutes and transfer them to a food processor.
- Blend the nuts for 10-12 minutes, scraping down the sides as you go until you have a runny and smooth nut butter. (Your food processor may need a little rest !
- Add in the spices, maple syrup and salt.
- Blend again to incorporate the spices.
- Taste your nut butter but don't eat it all 🙂 and add more spices if desired.
- Pour into a jar grab a spoon and enjoy!