I am always looking for a way to incorporate more vegetables into my diet as well as trying to find quick recipes that help me save time especially in the morning. These super simple carrot, ginger and raisin breakfast cookies are just what I need. They take literally minutes to make and are packed full of wonderful and accessible ingredients like oats and of course carrots; talk about a multi tasking cookie! These cookies are also the perfect way to use up over ripe bananas; could these cookies be anymore perfect? Oh and did I mention that these have all the delicious flavors of carrot cake; it’s like dessert for breakfast! These are quite possibly the healthiest cookie ever; oil free and sweetened with carrots and just a hint of maple syrup. I can’t get enough of these with their crispy outside that gives way to beautifully chewy oaty goodness. Don’t be misled by their name these irresistible oaty babies are not just for breakfast but they also make quite possibly the best snack ever!
These deliciously chewy cookies contain one of my favorite ingredients; carrots. Carrots are a great source of beta carotene which is converted to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is best known for its contribution to the maintenance of eye health. Carrots are also a rich source of potassium which is a key regulator of electrolyte balance in the body and necessary to ensure adequate levels of hydration. In addition potassium plays a role in the control of blood pressure as well as the maintenance of a healthy cardiovascular and nervous system.
- 1 large very ripe banana
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 large carrot grated (roughly ½ cup - ¾ cup)
- ¼ cup rasins
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Mash your ripe banana and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, maple syrup, carrot, raisins, ginger and cinnamon.
- Add in the banana and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into 9 cookies and place on a lined baking tray.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180C/ 350F for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool (if you can resist them!)