We all know that the way to anybody’s heart is through their stomach. So in keeping with the fact that today is Valentine day I thought that I would share with you the ultimate way to anybody’s heart; chocolate mousse. However unlike other chocolate mousse recipes this one bypasses going to your hips too! Considering it is Valentine’s Day could this be any more fitting after all cacao is one of nature’s most potent aphrodisiac? Chocolate is often celebrated for its aphrodisiac powers when it is in fact the cacao bean that is the source of this. Most plant based desserts often tend to be quite rich in fats (good fats that is) due to their high nut content however this mouse is an exception as it is both low in fat as well as being nut free. It has the most decadent richness and velvety texture making it impossible to not eat most of it of the spoon. It almost sounds too good to be true, right? The magic ingredient is……. sweet potato. I know not quite your first choice for what you would like to eat for dessert.
However sweet potatoes have a wonderful natural sweetness that is slowly released into your bloodstream ensuring a constant slowly released energy source that avoids the fatigue associated with blood sugar spikes. In addition they contain vitamin D “the sunshine” vitamin which plays s role in regulating our mood and energy levels as well as helping us lay down the foundations for strong and healthy bones and teeth. Their vibrant orange color also shows that they are a very rich source of beta carotene any many other carotenoids which have been shown to boost our immunity as well as to help stave off cancer.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (enough to yield 1 cup of flesh when roasted)
- 4 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 5-6 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp very strong espresso
- Halve the sweet potatoes or chop them into chunks and roast in a preheated oven at 180 C/ 350 F for 30-40 minutes depending on their size.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Scoop out the roasted flesh and measure out 1 cup.
- Place the sweet potato and all the remaining ingredients into the blender an blend until smooth.
- Taste and add more milk, coffee syrup or maple syrup depending on your taste.
- Serve with some berries and enjoy!