Looking for a healthy, vegan-friendly alternative to the traditional Mars Bar? Well, you’re in the right place!
If you are or were a fan of Mars Bars, but want something that suits your plant-based diet, then our vegan Mars Bars recipe may calm your cravings.
These bars (Also Check Out How To Make Vegan Almond Bounty Bars) come with an almond nougat base with sweet caramel sealed in with super tasty dairy-free chocolate. If there was ever a perfect combo, this is it!
These gluten-free Mars Bars are the perfect treat to share with family and friends. The only issue is that you may want to keep them all to yourself because they’re so tasty.
So, let’s not wait any longer (we’re getting hungry!) Let’s start making these silky almond butter Mars Bars so you can treat yourself and loved ones today!
Before the fun begins, you will need to gather your supplies. Here are the ingredients you will need to make the best vegan Mars Bars you will ever try:
- 1 and a quarter cups of blanched almonds (156 g)
- 5 tablespoons of almond butter (74 g)
- A quarter teaspoon of sea salt (1.25 g)
- A quarter cup of coconut sugar (60 g)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (10 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut milk, or non-dairy milk (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of cacao powder (15 g)
- 1 tablespoon of canned, chilled coconut milk (15 g)
- Half a teaspoon of sea salt (2.2 g)
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter (30 g)
- 12 medjool, pitted dates
- Half a cup of coconut milk, or non-dairy milk (118 ml)
- A quarter cup of maple syrup (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (15 g)
- 237 oz of vegan-friendly chocolate (240 g)
Steps To Take
You’ll be pleased to know that making these vegan almond butter Mars Bars is pretty straightforward. But, you will need to do so with three simple steps.
First, you need to prepare the base, then the caramel center, and finally the chocolate coating.
The nougat base is unique to Mars Bars. For our vegan alternative recipe, the key ingredient is blanched almonds. We will then sweeten the bar with coconut sugar.
The coconut milk and almond butter will then supply additional flavor and a delectable creaminess to the base layer.
You will need to place your blanched almonds into a pot of boiling water for around 60 seconds.
Then, you will strain them and place them into a bowl of cold water straight after until they have reached room temperature.
Eventually, all you have to do is strain the water and take their skin off by squeezing the almonds. Finally, dry the almonds off with a paper towel.
We will be doing something a little different to the caramel center of these Mars bars, compared to the original, “real deal.”
By using coconut milk and almond butter, we will achieve a wonderful creamy and soft texture that goes perfectly with the almond flavor profile of the nougat layer.
Finally, you need to prepare the chocolate coating. For this, all you need is vegan-friendly milk chocolate from the store.
You can use dark chocolate if you prefer, as this is typically dairy-free anyway. Just inspect the labels of the packing before use.
You can even make your own dairy-free chocolate yourself, but if you’re in a rush, we suggest store-bought chocs instead.
It’s time to make those vegan almond butter Mars Bars! Follow the instruction below and get ready for one of the tastiest vegan treats ever:
- Start by adding the blanched almonds, salt, and coconut sugar to your blender, or food processor. Blend until it reaches a very fine, crumbly consistency.
- Now, add the vanilla extract, almond butter, and cacao powder to the mix. Blend for one minute to combine the entire mixture.
- The last ingredients you need to add are the chilled coconut milk and milk from the can. Again, blend for 30 seconds or so to combine everything fully.
- Grab a baking dish (approximately 7” x 11”) with parchment paper. Take your mixture and press this into your pan’s base. You can do this with a glass (flat-bottomed) or a small plate if needed.
- Place the dish into your freezer whilst you prepare your caramel layer.
- Add all the ingredients for the caramel into a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend this until the consistency becomes creamy and smooth.
- Now, spread your caramel evenly across the base. For this, a spatula is your best bet.
- Place the caramel into your freezer to allow it to set. This may take the whole night, but it will usually be ready in about six or so hours.
- Take your chocolate and melt this over a double boiler. Just ensure it doesn’t overheat, as your bars may melt. Simply heat it just enough so the chocolate melts.
- It’s time to grab those Mars chocolate slabs from the baking tray and divide them into 14 to 16 bars.
- Place each bar onto the top of a fork and carefully let the melted chocolate drizzle over their tops and sides. We do not recommend dipping the bars directly into the melted chocolate, as the filling may melt.
- Finally, place your chocolate bars down on some parchment paper sheets and transfer them to your freezer for about 10 minutes. Then, they will be ready to serve (or you can enjoy them all to yourself!)
And, that’s it! You now have your very own vegan almond butter Mars Bars!
As you can see, it’s pretty easy to make vegan almond butter Mars Bars. Although some parts of the process are a little time-consuming, the end result will be so worth it.
Let us know how your Mars Bars turn out. Most importantly though, enjoy treating yourself with one or two (or the whole batch!)